"A stand-up comedy routine, until it’s not". Brahman/i: a One-Hijra Stand-up Comedy Show.
This paper is meant to be a consideration on the difference between Â - as Chiaro (2010) puts it - ‘laughing with’ and ‘laughing at’ someone, when humor is performed in and by a multi-cultural and multi-gendered setting. It will be conducted through an analysis of a stand-up comedy show/play: Brahman/i: a one-Hijra stand-up comedy show, followed by an interview with the playwright Aditi Brennan Kapil. In her work, Kapil puts together humor, post-colonialism, gender issues and the struggles that sometimes life can put people through. The research aims at highlighting the way in which verbally expressed humor becomes a means to represent an identity which not only does not conform to the binary and heteronormative definitions of gender as imposed by society, but, at the same time, is also situated in a cultural and geographical limbo.
- Attardo, Salvatore. 1994. Linguistic Theories of Humor. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- Attardo, Salvatore. 2001. Humorous Texts: A Semantic and Pragmatics Analysis. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- Balirano, Giuseppe. 2007. The Perception of Diasporic Humour: Indian English on TV. Catania: AG Edizioni.
- Bouchetoux, Francois. 2014. "Gender Trouble in Sketches from Japan." In Gender and Humor. Interdisciplinary and International Perspectives, edited by Delia Chiaro and Raffaella Baccolini, 100-19. New York: Routledge.
- Butler, Judith. 1990. Gender Trouble. New York and London: Routledge.
- Carter, Judy. 1989. Stand-up Comedy: The Book. New York: Dell Publishing.
- Chiaro, Delia. 1999. "The Implications of the Quality of Verbally Expressed Humour and the Success of Screen Comedy." Antares 4: 14-20.
- Chiaro, Delia. 2010. "Laughing at or Laughing with? Italian Comic Stereotypes Viewed from within the Peripheral Group." In Hybrid Humour: Comedy in Transcultural Perspectives, edited by Graeme R. Dunphy and Rainer Emig, 65"“84. Amsterdam: Rodopi.
- Chiaro, Delia. 2010a. "Translation and Humour, Humour and Translation." In Translation, Humour and Literature, edited by Delia Chiaro, 1-29 London: Continuum.
- Chiaro, Delia and Baccolini, Raffaella, eds. 2014. Gender and Humor. Interdisciplinary and International Perspectives. New York: Routledge.
- Double, Oliver. 2014. Getting the Joke: The Inner Workings of Stand-Up Comedy. London, New Delhi, New York, Sidney: Bloomsbury.
- De Witt Griswold, Hervey.1900. Brahman: a Study in the History if Indian Philosophy. New York: The Macmillan Company.
- Fuller, Christopher J. 2004. The Camphor Flame: Popular Hinduism and Society in India. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Hall, Kira. 2013. "It's a Hijra!' Queer Linguistics Revisited." Discourse and Society 24.5: 634-42.
- Hui, Jon S. Y. 2014. "Power and Connection. Humor in a Cantonese Family." In Gender and Humor. Interdisciplinary and International Perspectives, edited by Delia Chiaro and Raffaella Baccolini, 182-98. New York: Routledge.
- Martin, Rod A. 2014. "Humor and Gender. An Overview of Psycological Research Scandalized." In Gender and Humor. Interdisciplinary and International Perspectives, edited by Delia Chiaro and Raffaella Baccolini, 123-46. New York: Routledge.
- Nash, Walter. 1985. The Language of Humour. Style and Techniques in Comic Discourse. New York: Longman Inc.
- Raskin, Victor, ed. 1985. Semantic Mechanisms of Humor. Dordrecht, Boston, Lancaster: D. Reidel.
- Kapil, Aditi Brennan, 2013. Brahman/i: a One-Hijra Stand-up Comedy Show. Minneapolis: AO International.
- Wagner-Lawlor, Jennifer A. 2014. "The School for Scandal. Humor and Scandalized Narrtive in Women's Speculative Fiction." In Gender and Humor. Interdisciplinary and International Perspectives, edited by Delia Chiaro and Raffaella Baccolini, 53-74. New York: Routledge.
- Zaehner, Robert C. 1964. "Hinduism." Tijdschrift Voor Filosofie 26.1: 143.
- Asian American Press, 2013. Displaced Hindu Gods. Accessed 23 March 2016. http://aapress.com/community/displaced-hindu-gods.
- Dictionary. n.d. "Minority". Accessed 20 April 2016. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/minority.
- Entertainment Central Pittsburgh. 2015. Accessed 25 March 2016. http://entertainmentcentralpittsburgh.com/center-stage/brahmani-comic-real-stand-guy-girl/.
- Kapil, Aditi Brennan. http://www.aditikapil.com/home.html. Accessed 20 March 2016.
- Time Out. 2014. "Title". Accessed 25 2016. http://www.timeout.com/chicago/theater/brahman-i-a-one-hijra-stand-up-comedy-show.
- Vargo, M., 2015. "In"Brahman/i,' the Comic Is a Real Stand-Up Guy"¦ and Girl" . Accessed 22 March 2016. http://entertainmentcentralpittsburgh.com/center-stage/brahmani-comic-real-stand-guy-girl/.